Before I Write A Book part 3 - By Basketmouth | Welcome to Linda Ikeji's Blog

LI_Leaderboard_4

LI_Leaderboard_1

LI_Leaderboard_2

LI_Leaderboard_3

Sunday 11 August 2013

Before I Write A Book part 3 - By Basketmouth

A part 3 of the comedian's Before I Write A Book series. Enjoy...
UNIBEN - 1999

When the posters came up on the hostel walls that there was going to be a Talent hunt show coming up which was organised by Femi Akinwunmi, I quickly registered for it as a rapper. The star price was a CD player..my dream. I imagined being able to replace our old cassette player and put on a CD like the rest of the boys.

I practised my lines and waited for d-day. 3 days to the event, I woke up with fever and to find my body covered with little sores...I had chicken pox. I used calamine lotion like my life depended on it, but they only seemed to increase by the day.


Then came the day of the competition. Everyone dressed up and left one after the other to the venue. I was in pain from the heat but in greater pain from being in that room rather than on that stage. I was covered in calamine lotion, disappointed as all my hope that I would have miraculously recovered in those 2 days had gone and with it, my dream of a CD player.

As I tried to play a tape on the radio to take my mind off everything, the cassette player wouldn't work. That was the last straw. In anger, I got up, washed off the lotion from my hands and feet, washed off my face and neck. I wore a long sleeve shirt, buttoned up and hit the road with my friend/manager...Bayo Adekeye. The walk from my room to the Uniben Auditorium was the most difficult 45 mins of my life...well, one of.

I got to the venue early enough, the competition was about to begin. I saw the brand new silver BUSH CD player on the stage...it was beautiful. I couldn't help but imagine. Then the compere, Tee A began to call out the names. Before long, I heard my name...I came out did my one track performance and in the second round,I switched the game at them,and did a comedy performance.

The next morning, our neighbours woke up to the loudest music, it came from our room, we were celebrating, singing, shouting and dancing to music from the shiny  BUSH CD player on our table...and in midst of the crowd, a young dreamer covered from head to toe in white calamine lotion danced the hardest.....

Now guys......i'll stop here,you guys should wait for the book. It comes out this December.
www.basketmouth.tv

69 comments:

Anonymous said...

First to talk lol azonto

BONARIO NNAGS said...

loolz I admire his wittiness.

~BONARIO~says so via NOKIA3310

Mich said...

December it is.
Definitely gonna get a copy.
Defeat thine enemies with Success!

Anonymous said...

hmmm...na wa

★★PRINCE CHARMING™★★ said...

Heartwarming!!! In anticipation of the book then.

Anonymous said...

God bless u men..Neva Giv up on u Dreams

Anonymous said...

Humble beginning...

Yemmie Oscar said...

Awwwww! God bless.

Anonymous said...

Jezz!!! Can't wait 4 d book

Anonymous said...

Eversince i started reading these missives,i feel so drawn to basketmouth....i'm glad all his efforts are paying off...cant wait for the book!

De Kemcy said...

i enjoyed the first part in the series. Basketmouth has realy distinguished himself in literary terms. . . "BEFORE I WRITE A BOOK" ? Am waiting bro, i wanna read that book !

jstsayin said...

Meanin say me sef go grow o...dreams

Anonymous said...

Lorl
~D great anonymous!

Anonymous said...

E no sweet joor.

De Kemcy said...

this goes ahead to extablish a fact that Nigerian Musicians are quite versatile. And Basketmouth is just adding another clip to the trend. Good post, nice vocabulary

ary said...

When you make it, your trials become stories of encouragement to others. Like yours Ms Linda. Can't wait to lay my hand on the book.

Anonymous said...

#crying# December is tooooo long... Basket mouth please make it earlier, I am certainly definitely getting one....

Anonymous said...

Wow....can't wait 4 d book

Anonymous said...

First to comment? Yaaaaay! Basket ur story is touching n funny at d same...but today u'r singing a diff. Song. God bless ur hustle!

Anonymous said...

This story u re sharing is gonna be a blessing to many youths who thought they can't achieve their dreams from a scratch...may God bless u uncle basket

vpnvouchers said...

I will reserve my comment till the release of the book.

Anonymous said...

This will be one of the most interesting biographies ever! I dey wait o! "Krees!

Sapele Babe in Lagos said...

You were destined to be where you are today Bright. From the very day your mother named you Bright, your destiny of a very Bright future was established. Chai! I dey feel you dieeee. Can't wait to read the book.

Amaka eze said...

I wiII personaIIy buy one BM, interesting aIready...

Anonymous said...

Wow, to b great one needs to be determined. Just like kanu said in a milk brand commercial.

freshdude said...

Perseverance overcomes all

Anonymous said...

Aww.."D calamin lotion" made me lmao!ure such an inspiration basket! It shows dat one shud nva gv up even at the most difficult moments..CC

Anonymous said...

Bayo Adekeye, that's the boy from Ile Oluji in Ondo State whose grand father was stinkingly rich. I used to see him and basketmouth in Onike, Yaba in those days. They wouldnt let Biola rest...lol..

iphie said...

awww! humble beginnings.

kunle said...

Lol

Anonymous said...

.........inspiring, I dey feel u bro!

Anonymous said...

Funny dude

Anonymous said...

I love basket mouth, thats all I have to say.simply my best naija comedian

Didi said...

I most definitely want to get d book. Can we pre-order??

Anonymous said...

Nice one basketmouth...I remember a perfomance u did 2005 in the bar of Nicon hotel VGC. It was off the chains.

faty said...

Perseverance!! You didn't let anything put you down am inspired. God bless our hustle.

Unknown said...

Yap! That's life, for you to count a million you must start from 1.

maureen said...

U are simply talented and destined to make it in life. Loving ur story as it unfolds. Can't just wait for the bookm

ᶥᵗˢ didi said...

Wow!Really inspiring

Emmanuel Babatunde said...

Nice One B Mouth.

Read Juicy & Amebor Gist HERE

Anonymous said...

His dream came through but the number of pple he infected with chicken pox dat nyt would be something else.

-DatLinda'sSister-

Unknown said...

So mouth watering...
Great Success is usually achieved when Talents meets with detrmination, dedication and hardwork... Thumbs up Basket Mouth..

Angela Judy said...

Lols. Determination, waiting 4 d book

Lucian said...

I just marked my calendar for December. Cool guy.

Anonymous said...

Even chicken pox cld not hold u bk. God bless u 4 being such an inspiration to others!

Unknown said...

Nice one Basket yansh

Anonymous said...

Oga wen u go write sef? Na only be4 u write, we dey see...

Tobi said...

Now this is a true story of a hustler! If you work real hard with great determination and His Grace, You will definitely make it in life!

The youngsters who are so eager to get rich should learn from this!

Unknown said...

Nice one bro

Danjuma Jubril said...

lol

Unknown said...

So mouth watering...
Great Success is usually achieved when Talents meets with detrmination, dedication and hardwork... Thumbs up Basket Mouth..

Anonymous said...

I remember those days in Uniben when basket mouth was struggling.I am excited at the happy ending!more grease to your elbow.... You are a bunch of talent... You
aint seen nothing. The sky is your limit...Arooooooo!

Unknown said...

So mouth watering...
Great Success is usually achieved when Talents meets with detrmination, dedication and hardwork... Thumbs up Basket Mouth..

Blackdotmandy said...

i love dis

Unknown said...

So mouth watering...
Great Success is usually achieved when Talents meets with detrmination, dedication and hardwork... Thumbs up Basket Mouth..

Unknown said...

So mouth watering...
Great Success is usually achieved when Talents meets with detrmination, dedication and hardwork... Thumbs up Basket Mouth..

Unknown said...

So mouth watering...
Great Success is usually achieved when Talents meets with detrmination, dedication and hardwork... Thumbs up Basket Mouth..

Unknown said...

No offences meant ooo but I keep having this strong feeling that he isn't writing this book all by himself @Efosa_I

Unknown said...

Part 1. Part 2. Part 3. If this ur befor i write a book thingy reach part 10. I no go buy the book again bc i don indirectly read †Ñ’ξ book finish. Lollz

Anonymous said...

B mouth, u succeeded because u were determined.

Anonymous said...

Shut up! Goat, didn't u see December der, or didn't u read d write up? Mumu oshi, na evryone go comment on lib.

didabliz said...

MOST DEF. GETTING A COPY! WAY 2 GO!

Curtiz said...

Point of correction, Men is a plural term while Man is a singular term. No hard feeling bro, Just saying.

Nwa Teacher said...

Shut up mr Itk! U think §♠Ƴ na everybody go dull â„“i̶̲̥̅ke u with ur empty brain?

Weda na him write the book or nt is nt ur biz....afterall its d content of the book dat matters of which i'm sure u can comprehend already! *StraightFace* Mcheeeeew!!!!


Anonymous said...

wow,interesting,i ll get one for myself.cant wait for dat to come.BM

Anonymous said...

Every time i read a part, my eyes become cloudy. i am happy for him....

Numero Hugo said...

I actually tot he waz gonna go on stage wit d calamine lotion.
GREATEST UNIBEST

Anonymous said...

AROOOOOOO...hall 3 zoo for boys. The regenerative home of comedy. I knew basketmouth was a hall 3 boy! Men, I mess that hostel.

Anonymous said...

No bad comment nice one

Recent Posts