Gunmen in police uniform snatch Compass newspaper editor’s car | Welcome to Linda Ikeji's Blog

LI_Leaderboard_4

LI_Leaderboard_1

LI_Leaderboard_2

LI_Leaderboard_3

Tuesday 31 July 2012

Gunmen in police uniform snatch Compass newspaper editor’s car

From PM News...and yes, it's another Toyota car!
Armed robbers dressed in police uniform at about 10 p.m.on Sunday at gunpoint snatched a car from the Editor, Nigerian Compass newspaper, Mr. Gabriel Akinadewo. (pictured above)
The editor, who was in his Toyota Avensis car, 2008 model marked Ogun CP 11 AKM, was returning from his office on the Lagos-Ibadan expressway when he ran into the road block mounted by the robbers in front of a new generation bank at Agidingbi, Ikeja, Lagos.

Narrating his ordeal in the hands of the bandits, Akinadewo said, “I give glory to God Almighty for saving my life. I left church yesterday afternoon for my office in my white garment. I am a member of Cheribum and Seraphim Church.

“Immediately I was through with my schedule in the office, I took my leave. On my way home, I drove through the Business Club Road, near Femi Anikulapo’s Shrine and suddenly, four men blocked my way with their car. so I decided to go through Amaraolu Street linking the bank. As I approached the bank, I saw the four men again in police uniform in front of the bank. They flagged me with a torch light that I should stop. I did and greeted them thinking they were policemen.

“They asked me, ‘can we see your boot?’ As I got down to open the boot, one of them suddenly whispered to me, ‘we are not policemen. It is better for you not to shout. So, cooperate.’ Another one grabbed my car key and ordered me to sit at the back seat sandwiched by two of them. One drove my car and the last one sat in the front with the driver.

“Because of the white garment I wore, one of them asked me if I was a pastor. I said no. The same man saw my identity card and asked if I was a journalist. I said ‘yes’. Their leader reprimanded him saying, ‘keep quiet, why do you ask him questions?’ They took me in my car through Wempco Road to Oba Ogunji Road.

“As they were going, one of the robbers called somebody on phone and he said, ‘super, we got two, a SUV and a car. They are okay, they are neat.’ In the SUV, there were four other robbers also dressed in police uniform with the owner of the SUV at the back. The owner was wearing a lace material.

“They moved to Mobil, Stadium Road, Railway line in Agege and Abattoir. There, they told me to get down, that I must not make any noise. I quickly called the Lagos State Commissioner of Police, Umar Manko who immediately ordered police in Abattoir and others to organise search parties for the car. I later reported the matter at Pen Cinema Police Division. I finally got home at about 2 a.m. today.”

Akinadewo commended Manko for responding swiftly to his distress call.
He also thanked policemen who commenced the search for the car as early as they were called on phone by the police boss.

Items lost in the car include an unspecified amount of money, ipad 3, London train oyster card, FCMB mastercard, Nigerian Compass identity card, his driver’s licence, newspapers, purse and complimentary cards.

Source: PM News

33 comments:

Anonymous said...

In d past weeks, robbers ve bin operating on Agidingbin road, snatching cars n wallets! Lord help us!

Anonymous said...

Na wa 4 lagos nigeria oh I tink I need 2 sell my toyota car whose interested maybe 2 buy an okada

MAXIMUS™ said...

I was about sympathizing with you sir, until I read the last paragraph- which seemed to be more like a show off. There is no such thing as an iPad 3!!! It's called the new iPad which has a minimal upgrade from ipad 2 but isn't referred to as an iPad 3. Nigerians can like to add number on every gizmo (Bold 5, Bold 7, Curve 20). Mscheeeeew *yims*. And what's with the London oyster train card? Nigga pls! anybody can have that

*oshisco*

Anonymous said...

Better to use legedis Benz now o!

Anonymous said...

Very funny...

Anonymous said...

9jadeltapikin... God help Nigeria the rate of armed robbery Ȋ̊§ too high now

Anonymous said...

Sorry ooh

Anonymous said...

To think rich people buying Geely or Picanto are stupid. One should think again o!

Anonymous said...

Nigeria has no security,they swift into action because you have a policeman top man number on your phone,what about millions of nigerians that don't have,they remove police from the road,the same police are the robbers,nigeria is not a safe country,you live in fear daily.yet our leaders sleep in 2500euro hotel a night abroad,and no job for the youth,what do u expect.

Bootylycious diva

Anonymous said...

He knew d comissioner of police and dats y they could search for his car so quickly. What about d others who have their cars stolen and dnt know d comissioner? What happens?? It takes 4eva for then to find d car. That's if its ever found

CHI

Anonymous said...

Am sorry to hear this. But a distress call to a police officer, don't we have like an emergecy unit that direct calls what if the officer is out of reach and how many calls can he take. I hope the find the man's car.
PS: i thought there were no more road blocks?
Make i stay for my UK jeje.

Anonymous said...

So oyster card is now something pple carry in dia wallet in lagos??o ma shey oooo? It looks like toyotas her hot commodities for robbers now sha, time to switch to kia jeje I no fit shout

Anonymous said...

It is good that the police has been taken off the road. Now pple this is an order, run down any police man you see flagging you down. Your lawyer will claim self defence. Hmmmm police giving out their uniforms now abi. Issorai

Anonymous said...

How much u wan sell am

Anonymous said...

Hw much u wan sell am

Anonymous said...

i dont no 4 dis stupid robbers,dat ow they stole my mum phrend car matrix.it nt fair police shuld b atalat.

FortySeven said...

I have sworn off any Japanese car since my Toyota Corolla was snatched @ gun point! When I went to report the incident at the police station the officer asked me what kind of car and I said "Toyota Corolla 2010 model" his response was "Ahhh!!! Na their pepper soup be dat na! Dem no dey carry eye see that moto!"

Can u imagine?!

Like I said, I've sworn off japanese cars. I now drive a modest Peugeot 406 and I have peace of mind. Nobody go snatch that one!

Anonymous said...

things dey happen 4 lag oh.

Uk said...

Hmmn ...which toyota ?

Princess of Zion said...

Car theft very rampant these days! Lucky he wasn't killed! Just praying the government can do something about the state of security; it's appalling.

Excelling as a woman- www.princessofzion.wordpress.com/2012/07/31/excelling-as-a-woman

Chikaka said...

He looks like Adewale Ayuba.

Anonymous said...

Linda Baby Oyster card not Oyster train card.Oyster goes on Buses and piers as well.

scataa! said...

Hmm I almost bought a toyota camry 1985 model! But bcus of dis madness in town I beta settle 4 a leggidesse benz 2013 model! I neva born pikin nt 2 talk of gettin a job yet, dis boiz no dey play @ all o! Jst 1 bullet! D nxt tyn chaii wot a lyf gone so soon! Is not our portion IJN! Amen! Everystate wit dia own wahala! I dey see dis coun3 dividing! Jst sayin o!..Papee Scataa skata No Mata!

Bouckorlah Abhulimen Aileru said...

Eyaa sorry my brother, we thank God for ur life, thank God there was response 4rm the police force, by God grace u will get ur car back IJN

Anonymous said...

Nice blog

Anonymous said...

Oga sorry oo;i Trust white garment , baba Will burn candle for the robbers.

Anonymous said...

WTF did u mean by sayin u wld b away for a few hours,u coulda told us it wld b d whole day..no dey vex me o..u no how many tyms I don com here to check for fresh updates??..do nao!!.NEKS

Anonymous said...

Smh! I almost suffered the same fate in 2006. As I was driving on the highway close to the stadium in Abuja at 10pm, a brand new Hilux truck filled with men dressed in police uniforms and assault rifles doubled up beside me asking me to pull over. For a sec I thought I was in one of those Nigerian movies set except for the fact there were no cameras or movie director in sight; knowing it wasn't a movie or something of that bizarre nature, or if the police were to stop a vehicle in Nigeria, they'll do so at an organized or make-shift checkpoint, I quickly stepped on the gas pedal. The driver of the said Hilux applied his as well thereby catching up with me. At that point, I realized the men were in for serious business. But as a natural born stunt driver, I stepped on my brakes hard enough to break the floor, made a 180 degrees turn and sped away against the oncoming traffic. Guys, this ain't no fiction but reality! The hilux did not relent but turned around to chase me. Apparently they were bent on seeing the very end of their mission! I drove like Jenson Button roaring my engine down Mabushi highway, shunting between cars with bright lights in my face. With precision, I aligned my Honda Civic 96 model beside the hard shoulder and wide gutter on the left thereby jumped onto the opposite lane and onto the highway that leads to Gwarimpa. I guess in the minds of those criminals (or policemen) they were like "omoh na that kain man we need for our team, na heavy thief him be, see stunt", cos I dusted and left them in the sands of time as they couldn't keep up with me.
Basically, Nigeria is a very dangerous place to live in as the police connive with armed robbers to rob innocent and unsuspecting citizens on almost a daily basis. They are invariably the armed robbers themselves! May God guide and protect us all. Ene Tawo

Unknown said...

I thank God for your life my dear.

charles said...

simply put car tracker in your car and go to sleep , let them steal it , you will get it back anywhere , as easy as that ....avensis 2008 , just get a car tracker in it , thats all...dont relyon police search team

Anonymous said...

So sory

Anonymous said...

dis thives will make ppl stop buying camry o. I just hope ma uncle's own is still der wit him.

Anonymous said...

My dear,i tank God 4 ur life.if not 4 God we wil be singin another song.God is wit u my brother.

Recent Posts