Saudi Arabia's King Abdullah's $37bn benefits package for his people | Welcome to Linda Ikeji's Blog

LI_Leaderboard_4

LI_Leaderboard_1

LI_Leaderboard_2

LI_Leaderboard_3

Sunday 27 February 2011

Saudi Arabia's King Abdullah's $37bn benefits package for his people

King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia, who is 86, has just announced $37bn in benefits to lower and middle income Saudis. The package includes pay rises, unemployment benefit and affordable housing. The daughter of the former Saudi oil minister, Sheikh Yamani, Dr Mai Yamani explains why the king is lavishing money on his people and why this gesture might not satisfy the demands of the country's young people. Scared of a revolution?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

more like hush money, it will be a hot mess for all the countries that depend on them for oil if the people over there begin their own revolution.

Anonymous said...

Eya, at a time like this, I wish I were a Saudi citizen- at least I could get my hands on some serious dosh! Let me see, with the money, I would buy my mother lots of gold and Dutch wax wrapper, buy my great-aunt those expensive Yardley products she loves, buy myself Gucci and Prada bags with matching shoes, go on a world tour staying in top class hotels and still have money left over to build a house for my family back in Nigeria....

Anonymous said...

He's just trying 2 buy thier silence, wonder why some1 will rule 4 soo long n control d wealth of a nation. Think we need a revolution all over the world for things to change.

Unknown said...

Interesting. Lol at second comment!

Adiya

Heather Hadden said...

By giving his people more money and benefits the king might be able to maintain control of the country for the next few years. But how long are those people going to accept it? Sooner or later they will wake up and open their eyes and realize that their freedom is priceless.

Recent Posts